Friday, September 11, 2020

On Freud and Finding Our Way

Me:    This can't be an ego massage exercise.

She:    Idon'tknowwhatyou'retalkingabout.  I don't have an ego.  I exist solely for my own pleasure.

Me:    Fine.  This can't be in id massage exercise.


We're both trying to figure out this parallel blogs thing, how to get people to read them, how to make them interesting without downshifting into a daily diary of our mundane lives.  Admittedly, we think we're hilarious and brilliant.  You probably don't.  Yet.

As I said last time, our impetus for finally starting these blogs is a trip we're planning for next year.  I want to ride my bicycle 300 miles to Valentine, Neb., and back again with a kayak trip thrown in there somewhere.  Christa will ride her motorbike.  

A little aside here.  I love that word "motorbike."  It brings to mind images of T.E. Lawrence and James Dean and Peter FondaChrista hates the word, thereby providing me with even more incentive to use it. 

We spent a majority of yesterday poring over maps trying to find the best bicycle route from Lincoln to Valentine.  We look for things like avoiding interstates and highways with no shoulder, and keeping to dedicated bike trails as much as possible.  

We're not sure how we'll get there yet. There's lots to consider.  We have new gear to buy.  We have to better train our dog, Tucker, for the trip.  I have to train up to riding 80 miles a day for a week and probably improve my upper body strength for 5 hours of kayaking.  But we'll get there.  

I can't speak for Christa, but I think I'm still searching for a theme for my portion of this blog, for a "through line" as we used to call it in my college theatre days.

I'm unsure of my footing here, and that's both anxiety triggering and exciting at the same time.  I'll get there; I'm just not sure how yet.

Kind of like our bike tour next year.  

2 comments:

  1. it's difficult for me to find my through line in my tangent prone state of being.

    i'm certain i will know it when i see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tangent prone state of being." I'll be stealing that one day.

      Delete